Saturday, January 16, 2010

New Year New Vision

It's been a long while since I updated this blog because of so many commitments last year. Anyway, happy new year to all. It's a time to get rid of the old bad practices and bring in the new. It's like seeing things with a new pair of glasses and curing our myopic vision. Let me tell you a little story.

I used to wear glasses, 11 years ago more or less. I was nearsighted growing up and I couldn't really excel in whatever I wanted to do because I was hampered by my inability to see well. I dreaded sports because I was scared that I would get hit by a ball or something and break my glasses. Contact lenses were troublesome too because of the constant cleaning and protein buildup in the lenses even if you clean it as best as you could. There was no sign of hope for nearsighted people like me until I heard of laser surgery in  the late 1990's. I thought this was finally the answer to my prayer and so I saved up enough money to afford the surgery. Compared to today the cost of laser eye surgery costs much less. I asked my doctor brother for advice but he was a bit hesitant because the technology was still fairly new. He asked me to wait 5 years to see how it would fare. But I was determined to live without glasses because I wanted to see the stars and everything around me without the thick weight of eyeglasses on my nose. And so I had my surgery done.

The surgery itself was more or less painless but it was the healing time after that was soooooooo painful. I had to wear sunglasses for days and I had a slew of medications and drops for my eyes. Today, you can have Lasik probably with better post-operation experiences. I've read that Lasik vision recovery can be as little as a few hours and you can see well in about a day or two. They say Lasik normally has no pain and best of all, you can reduce or eliminate the need for glasses or contact lenses. If you are in the US you can probably check out the Stahl Eye Center and have your eyes checked if you qualify for Lasik surgery. Their doctors are graduates from top universities such as UCLA, John Hopkins and Yale.

After that operation, I'd have to say that I've been able to do things I would never have done if I had remained myopic. I think it's the same in real life. Without vision, people perish. We need to have vision or we will simply exist. This new year, I'm looking forward to doing so many new things and attempt to do what I dare not do. It will be exciting and it will be full.

Happy New Year everyone!

0 comments: